Friday, September 2, 2011

Coupons: Are They Gifts or Pure Evil?

The last time my mom was over, she brought me a couple coupons for Joann Fabrics.  One for 10% of your entire purchase and one for 40% off any regular price item and both MUST be used this weekend.  Instead of giving myself a little alone time, which I again threatened to do while attempting to get the family to put on their shoes, we all went together.  Going to the fabric store with your husband, a four year old, and a two year old is quite an experience.  The girls, don't want to be out of my sight.  My husband, the mastermind, behind this sewing adventure has decided that everything must be documented.  Thereby following me around the store taking pictures with our camera.  Document everything!

As you all know, I am new to this sewing thing but not new to a fabric store.  Fortunately, I have followed my mom around enough to know the basics.  However, I always start looking at fabric toward the front of the store, where the more expensive fabric is housed. Since I am still basically a beginner, I belong in the sale section.  I don't really want to go broke trying to figure out my craft.  Fortunately, I have been able to find some pretty snazzy fabrics.  Fortunately, my girls have been able to find some pretty snazzy fabrics.  Violet, found some fantastic cupcake fabric and she carried it all over the store.  I think I bought about two yards, we shall see what I can come up with.  Mimi really wanted snowman and pink fabric.  While looking at patterns, Mimi asked if we could make a carrier for a walker.  I told her since none of us were at the walker stage of life we would skip that pattern.  She was laughing a lot and telling me how silly she is.  Yes, Mimi is a silly girl.  Violet, was also getting a little ticked off because someone sat in her seat.  The nice woman who took the seat, which had been vacant for about ten minutes, offered to move but I told her that was not necessary.  Poor Vi, also got upset when we were waiting to get our fabric cut and she noticed someone was sitting in my seat.  She was quite boisterous as only a two year old can be and I felt like a I was living a version of Goldilocks!

Today's shopping trip ended up costing me $45.00 but I saved $43.00 which is pretty darn good.  But had I not had the coupon, I would not have spent the money.  I bought fabric for pillows and fabric for pajama pants.  Yes, I am going to make make myself flannel pajama pants.  The pattern was on sale for $.99 and the material was about $2.00 a yard.  I also FINALLY bought material for my my 18 month old buddy Bethany some pillows for her big girl bed.  Her mom took me to the airport so I owe them a couple pillows.  But, I would make her pillows anyways - she is a cute 18 month old and gives me hugs.


Pattern, thread, and material for my pajama pants

Home decorator fabric for a pillow- originally super expensive
but I got a super deal!

Vi's cupcakes!

This is more country than I am normally into but I thought it might make a nice pillow or five
or however many panels came in just under two yards.

Bethany's Butterflies!  I bought flannel so they would be nice and cozy.
Bought some extra too, to make something for my own girls!

After today's trip, I figure I have enough scraps, hand-me-downs, and new stuff that I should keep myself busy for awhile.  I did not sew tonight.  I am not going to sew tonight.  I am going to relax on the couch with a glass of wine and a movie.  Oh, my husband will be there too - asking lots of questions like: What did he just say?  Do you know if she ends up with him?  Why did he do that?  Since it is a long weekend, in between having fun, I am hoping to get in a few stitches, so more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment