Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Race to Reopen the Belle Isle Aquarium: Fun, Food, and Fish!

Are you getting sick of my blog posts on the Belle Isle Aquarium?  Because in case you missed the first two, this is number three!  My first post described my joy and excitement as I prepared my dry tank exhibit and the second post described the behind the scenes fun I had setting up a fish tank full of pillows.  Good times!  So, what else could I possibly have to say about this event?  Isn't it obvious?!?!?  Now I am writing because someone needs to tell you to get down to the historic Belle Isle Aquarium on Thursday night!

I am going to take you back to elementary school English class for a moment and give you the who, what, where, when, why, and how's of the "Race to Reopen the Aquarium" event.

Who:  You need to go!
What:  "Race to Reopen the Aquarium" a gala with music, fish, finger foods, and fun!
Where:  Belle Isle Aquarium on Belle Isle in Detroit, Michigan
When: Thursday, May 31, 2012 from 7pm to 11pm
Why:  The aquarium was the oldest continually operating aquarium in the United States until it closed in 2005 due to lack of funds.  This place is a gem and it is needs to be open.
How:  Show up at the aquarium in your "summer chic" duds and plan to spend $50 a ticket.

I know, it sounds like a lot of fun!  That is why I am going!
I tugged, twisted, cried, begged, and pleaded with my husband to get him to take me to this event.  Okay, I am exaggerating.  All I had to do was say, "Hey, since my pillows are hanging out in a tank at the aquarium, don't you think we should hang out at the aquarium?"  It took little or no convincing and since my birthday was last week, my husband somehow bought me the most perfect dress for the occasion.  And it fits... it fits welll!!!!!

Sure, I want people to come out and see my pillows.  I ordered some really cool Detroit and jellyfish fabric that I am hoping will come in the mail ASAP so that I can add some nautical and local flavor to my tank.  But, regardless of my desire to introduce more people to my pillows, the fundraiser really is going to be a snazzy little event.  I encourage all of you who ever went to Belle Isle as a kid, but never had the chance to take your own kids to get out there and and support the aquarium.  I don't this you will be disappointed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment