Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Art of the Craft Fair

So I will admit it:  I don't think I ever gave crafters a fair amount of credit.  Now, I never discredited crafters, I just never gave their vocation much thought.  It is a lot of work not only to make something but also to display it, transport it, and sell it.  Well, since my friends and family members are not craft show vendors, I am kind of on my own this time.  However, friends and family members have volunteered some great ideas and wonderful support.

I am officially done sewing.  I have sewed more pillows than I even want to count.  Fortunately, I am pleased with how they have turned out.  What have I learned?  I have learned that I don't like working with knits.  I have also learned that stuffed pillows are not the way to go.  There is a reason why the majority of the pillows sold on Etsy are covers, not complete pillows.  Therefore, the next round of pillows I make for Etsy and craft shows will be covers!!!  Now I just need to learn how to make them.  Oh Mommy, I need your help.....

I mocked up my display on a table in the basement.  I think it will work.  I think I look like a rookie, but it is a nice clean display.  If this craft show is a bit of a success, then I will invest a little more money into my display.  Right now, I am going to have one of each pillow on the table with the extras stored away.  However, all the tooth fairy pillows will be thrown into a big basket.

So, I think I am in good shape!  I am going to go over my list again, and again, and again.  There are still of few things that need to be checked off.  As for writing this blog, I need to sign off because my husband is starting to prime our office and he has the fan on supersonic speed.  My digits are so cold, typing has become painful.  I will be back with an update on my progress on Friday...

P.S.  Here is the flyer for the craft show in case you missed the details...

2 comments:

  1. Great job Jenny. Here is a link to an easy pillow cover tutorial. I've made 6 so far, with different sizes. It will give you an idea how it is done. Good luck on Saturday!!

    http://candacetodd.blogspot.com/2009/02/super-easy-removable-pillow-cover.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Varina!

    You always give such great tips! I will check out the tutorial.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete