Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Moving Along in Life


You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Getting laid off was a bummer.  Learning to sew was fun.  It has been just over a year since I started this blog, learned how to sew, and started sewing pillows on Etsy.  All three of these things were outside of my comfort zone.  I always enjoyed writing when I was in school and when I worked. However, writing my thoughts and experiences for all to see was not in my comfort zone.  Learning to sew was never on my bucket list  It is so hard for me to look at a pattern or even take the scissors to the fabric.  And last but not least, I was never comfortable with the idea of actually selling pillows. Fortunately, I have had a good experience and the feedback has been positive.  But, selling is so far out of my comfort zone.  Here, I made what I think is an awesome pillow.  Do you want to buy the pillow? Sure you do?  Come on!  Nope - not me.  But here is a small trip down memory lane....in pictures.
 

First, I learned how to make a pillow.

Then, I made pillows for Haven and put my daughters to work.
And, I learned how to make good pillows!

The most exciting part of this pillow gig was the opportunity to get involved and help out the Belle Isle Aquarium.





It was an interesting year - one of ups and down, frustrations and successes.  I don't think I would change anything.  I listened to my husband and took a chance by learning how to sew.  I met so many interesting people.  But, lets face it, this was never meant to be a career.  And crafting, well, it is not so lucrative.  For the past five years I have been mulling over in mind, what am I going to do when my kids are in school all day.  I am not there yet.  Vi is only in preschool.  But, this summer I started to seriously weigh my options.  So, I am quiting the pillows business and saying goodbye to my Etsy store.  Friday, I am swinging by the aquarium to empty the tank that has been housing my pillows all summer long.  And next week, I am going back to school.


My husband and I were talking about what I should do with my life.  Kevin said, "Do whatever you want.  Work in the cheese department at Westborn.  Just do something that will make you happy."  Lucky me to have that kind of support.  So, I hemmed and I hawed and decided to go back to school to get my Master's in Teaching plus Certification degree.  I am going to work on it for the next two years with the hope that I can secure a teaching position when Violet is in kindergarten or first grade.  What a relief to have a plan!  I like to have a plan - maybe that is why I have a degree in Urban Planning, too.  I feel good about this choice.  I feel good that I have some direction in my life again.

Sew, what am I going to do about sewing?  Well, I am still planning on sewing.  I am still planning on learning new things about sewing.  But, I am not going to sell on Etsy.  After I collect all my pillows from the aquarium, I am going to decide what I want to keep and what I want to sell.  If you are interested in anything, let me know as I will be offering discounts. 

As for this future of this blog....well, only time will tell if I still feel like I have something to say.  Or, I guess I should say, only time will tell if I will even have time to write a blog in between parenting, homework, and housework.  But, I thank you all for stopping by from time to time to read this little blog.  And if you really want to see me keep it going, well, let me know.  But, what I do know for sure is that trying something new is never a waste of time - even if it scares you.  
 




No comments:

Post a Comment